To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

Tom,

I got the same information a few years back about the films being in
Germany, although it wasn't really definative. This was prior to the
SACD project that Universal started.

I never really got a straight answer on the Everest material, although
one person I spoke with was of the opinion that the films were in  bad
shape (as in, the oxide was falling off the base). I was never able to
confirm this, but given the history of how many record companies have
dealt with their masters, I wouldn't be surprised.

As you point out, SACD sales have been less than staller, so I don't
look for any interest on the parts of the record labels any time soon.

In regards to the Command material, I would once again be interested
specifically in the 3 track film masters for the L/C/R spread, as
opposed to the 2 channel mixdowns, even though they may at this point
be in better condition than the film originals.

In any event, it's truly a shame that nothing is being done to
preserve what is left of the material (if any). (I am making an
assumption that whoever owns the rights haven't done anything).

Although a market for the material may not exist at the moment, who
knows what might happen 50 years from now.

--Scott

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Scott:

Last I heard, all the films that still exist are in the vault in
Germany. I don't want to speculate what condition anything is in. As
you know, Universal made 3-channel SACD's of some Mercury films in
Germany. As I understand it, the SACD project is not active right now.
No Command films were ever turned into CD's or SACD's that I know of. I
was told they are not in good shape. I don't know any facts -- even
second-hand -- about the Everest films.

I should point out that from everything I've read, SACD sales have been
underwhelming so don't count on record companies having too much
interest to spend too much for that kind of thing.

Regarding the Command material, if 2-track "cutting masters" were made,
it could be reissued for less production costs. This was what was done
with the Virgil Fox material. Though one generation removed from the
master films, the 2-tracks will sound a lot better than a lot of stuff
that came later.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott D. Smith" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>