Re: [ARSCLIST] Laser turntable

Yes, this is the only non-contact laser-based turntable available.
There are other non-contact turntables and playback methods out
there, but for the most part they are either prototypes or one-off
designs in labs (ie. you can't just order one and receive it in a
few weeks).

Since I've used the ELP laser turntable extensively and measured
it a great deal, it has pros and cons just like any form of disc
playback.

It's single biggest sonic strength is its extremely flat frequency
response from the laser-based transducer, which is capable of producing
a very realistic sound with some recordings.  There is some extra
noise that comes with that signal, and the dynamics can be restricted.

I've had several mastering engineers and musicians audition the
laser turntable against my Simon Yorke S7 with Lyra Helikon SL and
Boulder preamp using LPs - they mostly preferred the sound of the
laser turntable for its accurate/realistic sound (and the mastering
engineers thought that with some processing they might get a
superior end result from the laser turntable), especially
with acoustic recordings (piano, quartets, etc.) and some live
recordings.  On multi-track studio recordings, the musicians and
engineers leaned towards the Yorke/Lyra combination.  I also had
some hardcore audiophiles participate in listening tests, and they
invariably preferred the Yorke/Lyra for its better dynamics and
lower noise.

The laser turntable is simply a tool.  It produces a unique signal
but with some extra noise and restricted dynamics.  It also is
fussy about cleaning (you better own a good record cleaning
machine), and won't play everything.  It's best with clean and
undamaged discs of acoustic and live performances, and may or may
not play some 78s.

The laser turntable can sometimes play through cracks, chips, and
breaks on 78s better than a traditional turntable (but not always,
and not always better than a traditional turntable).

I would never recommend a laser turntable as your sole playback
device.  But it can be handy to have around to deal with some
forms of disc damage, and may sound better than a traditional
turntable with some recordings.

And if you're concerned with wear or work with extremely fragile
disc media - only a laser turntable will play them without
putting the disc at risk.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128