Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

Dear Steve and all,
    Thanks for your question Steve. As usual, I can't give a straight
answer, so please forgive a string of separate paragraphs.
(1) Great Britain was in a real economic mess after the second World
War, and tape-recording had originated in Germany, so for many reasons
British record-companies were slow to master on tape.
(2) For the aforesaid economic reasons, it was Britain's second record
company (Decca) which enabled me to detect their LPs mastered on tape.
(I suppose I should add that "Decca" was also a trademark of an American
company, which made discs retailed here under the "Brunswick"
trademark). By that time, the U.S. Ampex company was beginning to
manufacture tape recorders, and "UK Decca" were able to get some; and UK
Decca used NAB equalisation for their master tapes. In view of their
stronger links with the USA, the British government prodded UK Decca to
sell most of their material to the USA, presumably as a way of repaying
"lease-lend."
(3) In an article I wrote for "Historic Record" magazine, and having
myself worked in broadcasting, it was relatively simple for me to detect
the early Decca LPs which had been mastered by copying from 78 metals,
and those mastered from cut-and-spliced tape. The switch happened after
about twenty LP sides had been mastered as I recall; and that in turn
implies that tape didn't reach UK Decca until mid-summer 1948.
(3) On the other hand, E.M.I built their own tape recorders, starting
with the BTR1. (Audio nerds like me considered this prefix meant "Big
Tape Recorder", or perhaps "Bad Tape Recorder". EMI spent much of this
time learning how *not* to build a tape recorder!) Things did not
stabilise until the BTR2 (1953), which was also the year in which CCIR
Characteristics were implemented for tape on this side of the pond.
(4) I do not know any rigorous way of telling the recordings which were
mastered on tape as opposed to disc. If one had perfect
sound-restoration facilities, one would simply listen to the nature of
the background noise. But whereas UK Decca were exporting vinyl 33s and
45s to the USA like there would be no tomorrow (and even built a special
factory for pressing them), EMI were still diverting resources to their
lead in radar (as a way of defending ourselves from the USSR).
(5) So far as 78s are concerned, UK Decca seems to have used the Take 2
suffix as meaning mastered with their ffrr (Full Frequency Range
Recording) cutter. Arthur Haddy of UK Decca was on our Technical
Advisory Committee when I joined the British Library Sound Archive; I
greatly regret I didn't ask him any further details. But there's no
doubt that you can't count on "Take 2" as being equivalent to
"Remastered."
(6) To answer the corresponding question for EMI, I would have to get
access to the microfilms we have of EMI's surviving paperwork (Index
Cards) from this period. They never show when tape-mastering was used;
but they do show "mastering dates", so by analysing these it would be
possible to see how and when the switch to tape-mastering occurred. In
addition, I can cite the corporate mentality that metal-parts were the
nearest thing to a "photographic negative". This had been true ever
since Emil Berliner invented lateral-cut disc records of course, and if
the master-negative was available, it would have a greater
power-bandwidth product than a contemporary master-tape.
    My apologies for such a long-winded answer.
Peter Copeland
Former Technical Manager,
British Library Sound Archive.