Re: [ARSCLIST] For the NRPB study: correlations between archives, collections, and resources

Dear Mr. S. Gander, err, Rob,

It was a pleasure to meet and hear from and about you at the ARSC conference.

My impression is that your crude hypothesis seems pretty valid to this gander, who's been around the audio archive field for over 40 years, in fairly regular touch with many library colleagues (that's how we all got our professional training: conferences and meetings and projects -- and we all agreed that there couldn't have been a better way or a finer group of colleagues: those still active are Ted Sheldon, Don McCormick succeeded some of the time by Sara Velez, Sue Stinson; those retired: Elwood McKee, Gerry Gibson, Barbara Sawka, Bill Storm).

Sidebar: I have a good friend, fellow choral singer, who got a job at Harvard, which sent him to Library school. He knew my interest, then a hobby, and carefully examined the program of the Library school he attended to see what material might be useful/essential for working in an audio archive in some capacity OTHER than cataloguing -- which by the way I was taught on the job at Yale. He found approx. 1 week of one course might be helpful; so I didn't bother to go to Lib. School. Another corollary of that story is that when and if I retire at Yale, I understand that a Library degree will be an essential prerequisite for the next candidate -- YIKE.

As you must know, Yale is, at least for a private university, large and pretty well fixed for resources. The Yale Collection of Historical Sound Recordings is probably the smallest of the major recorded sound archives because of collecting in limited subject areas (we really do NOT collect folk music or pop music except for Broadway) but, based on one RDI project study, the holder of more early commercial recordings not duplicated in other collections than any other. The collection is widely known and is used as much as possible. But there's the rub: my statistics are not to hand just now, but staffing levels during my 40 years here have ranged from 2 when I began, down to 1 for a few years, then up to 3 for a few years, then back to 1 for several years, and now 1.5 for the past couple of years (preceded by one part-time position paid for and performing a special project not related directly to public service).

The department is the smallest in the Library system and used to be exempted from Library-wide mandated budget cuts because its budget was too small to be significant (and the only way to do a specific-percent budget cut would have been to chop my salary, which is a type of cut Yale doesn't do). The budget covered salary (ies), office supplies, an occasional batch of storage envelopes, equipment repairs (but only twice a few hundred $$ for new items of playback equipment -- nearly every item of audio equipment on hand was donated), and acquisitions. For only about the last dozen years has collection space been climate-controlled Spring-Fall (there's always been heat in the Winter). Also, we've been granted some preservation funding in recent years, and have joined with NYPL and Stanford in a Mellon-grant project for joint cataloguing. Our current University Librarian (formerly head of Special Collections, including the National Sound Archive, at the British Library) and the current and former Music Librarians have been most helpful to HSR.

When there were 3 full-time, the staff could keep up with the research workload, spend the acquisitions budget, and make gradual progress coping with donations, accessions, preservation, and finding aids. Since that time, "backlog" and "behind" have been the watchwords. One of the killers was the (words fail, no discussion allowed) decision to move all the recordings in the collection to storage in a building about one mile from the Library, which houses the Collection's office and playback studio, and then the subsequent happening of a wait of about 10 years before a special project to unpack the recordings in storage in order to reduce finding-time for requested recordings from 1-2 hours apiece to 1-5 minutes apiece. While I have to say that the exercise nearly every day has been good for my health, it's rather difficult to come up with any other benefits of this situation, which is now permanent.

Please feel free to ask follow-up or other types of questions.

With best wishes, Richard