Re: [ARSCLIST] lateral cut switch

Here is a good explanation of the principle (3rd paragraph) and how to do it.

<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jlf/erepro2.htm>

--On Friday, May 26, 2006 1:40 PM +0200 George Brock-Nannestad <pattac@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi Phillip and Graeme,

you posted:

On 26/05/2006 you wrote;

ph> Cool cartridge/headshell modification.  I never would've
ph> thought of this.  Now how does it work (so I can do it)?

I wouldn't recommend you do this, it raises the mass of the headshell
by some considerable degree (the switch probably weighs more than the
headshell) and this is not a good idea at all.  Far better to place
the switch further down the line.

----- actually it is a good idea. It enables the reversal of polarity of
the  floating (non-grounded) coil in a stereo pickup, thereby enabling
summing to  vertical instead of horizontal. I have used it for 30+ years,
only, precisely  because of the mass you mention, Graeme, mine is a
switch I obtained from a  company that manufactures hearing aids, with no
metal, except for switch  blades and contact points (gold, rather than
silver).  The rest is plastic.  Soldering needed precision work. I did
not have a preamplifier that permitted  doing reversal at the time.

Kind regards,

George

Marcos http://tinyurl.com/kqdbk