[ARSCLIST] Seeing the light on Acetate vs Polyester

As I am working on a survey that includes all kinds of media, I recently learned that one way to distinguish acetate film vs polyester film is to hold the roll up to the light. I of course knew this technique from dealing with audio tape. However, it seems that in film the rule is reversed: when one can see through the roll, the film is polyester; when it appears opaque, it is acetate. Does anyone know why this is so?

Marcos
http://tinyurl.com/kqdbk