Re: [ARSCLIST] lateral cut switch

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi Phillip and Graeme,

you posted:

> On 26/05/2006 you wrote;
>
> ph> Cool cartridge/headshell modification.  I never would've
> ph> thought of this.  Now how does it work (so I can do it)?
>
> I wouldn't recommend you do this, it raises the mass of the headshell
> by some considerable degree (the switch probably weighs more than the
> headshell) and this is not a good idea at all.  Far better to place
> the switch further down the line.

----- actually it is a good idea. It enables the reversal of polarity of the
floating (non-grounded) coil in a stereo pickup, thereby enabling summing to
vertical instead of horizontal. I have used it for 30+ years, only, precisely
because of the mass you mention, Graeme, mine is a switch I obtained from a
company that manufactures hearing aids, with no metal, except for switch
blades and contact points (gold, rather than silver).  The rest is plastic.
Soldering needed precision work. I did not have a preamplifier that permitted
doing reversal at the time.

Kind regards,

George