Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

In many cases,the tapes were not taken care of,by the MegaCorporate music companies,and were allowed to deteriorate,to the point of flaking.Not commercial enough,to make big bucks,off,you see.There is story,after story,over the past twenty years to prove this.
 There are many of us,who believe the original issue,early electrical 78s, classical,and jazz,in particular,sound much better,than any other reissues,of the same recordings.Roger Kulp

Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> wrote: Tom Fine wrote:
> Hi Mike:
>
> Can you think of a large number of these examples? I can't. Almost any
> jazz tune put out on 78 after the advent of the LP was put out on LP,
> and was probably recorded and/or mastered on tape. So the 78 is the
> worst-case example in that case.

My interest focusses on classical vocal recordings. There are many such
instances of 45-rpm sets never issued on another format. There are fewer
only on 78. Issue on LP depended in part on RCA's slow adoption of the
format and in part on whether the collection fit comfortably. Although I
gave away my collection of 78s several years ago, I have had to keep
(and often to digitize) many 45s not available on concurrent issue or on
later reissue.

In many cases, the tapes were not preserved so the question arises where
there are several which is the better source for archiving - or should
both (or all)?

Note that from the archivist's point of view - and often from that of
the serious collector - the publisher's own reissue may be inferior to
the original. For an obvious example, the partial review of Caruso's
recordings issued by RCA Italiana (12 LPs) was the best of a bad lot of
reissues, all of which were inferior to properly transferred originals.
Some of the CD "complete" issues were similarly unacceptable, though the
best of them, such as Naxos's recent set, are taken from original issues
and processed with care.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx