Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

That's how doowop,60s garage/punk/surf became known,and eventually collectable.If there are any old timers,out there,who used to listen to a guy named Dick Lillard,on the radio,in the DC area,in the early 70s,he used to tell stories of how he used to raid dumpsters,and trash cans,outside of radio stations,as a kid in the 50s,and early 60s,and take home boxes of 45s.He would trade the ones he didn't want,with friends of his,like baseball cards.I also recall him saying, the promo 45s the station got in at the time,(Better rock,and soul.)were saved,for a friend of his at a local record store to pick through,and Dick would strip the sleeves off the rest,for his own records.It people like this,who started "Goldmine" ,in 1974.Roger Kulp

Karl Miller <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: On Mon, 15 May 2006, Tom Fine wrote:

> obscure). I can think of piles of useless no-hit wonder garbage singles that used to be tossed into
> large boxes at the college radio station, free for the picking but never picked over and the boxes
> were tossed in the dumpster when they started to overflow. Last time I went back to visit, in the
> mid-90's, it had evolved into a box of no-hit wonder CD's. Then there's the lesson of "antiques
> roadshow" -- just cause something's old doesn't mean it has a cent of value. Sorry to be harsh but
> reality is reality.

I also believe Tom raises another valid concern...somehow or other, one needs to
decide what is worth saving...for I sincerely believe we can't save it
all. And, in most instances, we don't often have informed individuals
making those decisions...nor can even those informed, always have ALL of
the information that could add a greater degree of probability of making
a good decision.

Karl