Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

O boy, I hope I don't regret replying to this but I am seeing some
nonsense in the opinions on this thread.

Regarding Rock and Roll rhythms: Lots of rock and roll has the strong
beats on 2 and 4, sometimes it's on the 1 and 3 but almost always there
is the rhythm of 2 and 4 meaning some instrument is strongly accenting
that.  And of course, all rock and roll has its basis in black music as
it stewed in the American experience.

As far as drummers not being competent - they invented the feel in the
sense that it grew out of blues and gospel and that derivative music
that was played in the clubs became rock and roll. The temp got cranked
up and the downbeats took over. I do not buy this drummers-not-competent
thing at all!  They weren't trying to play Benny Goodman or Glenn Miller
you know.  Those drummers were playing exactly what they intended to
play.  We may as well say the Ray Charles couldn't play piano well
because he wasn't playing Beethoven sonatas.

Joe Conway
Technical Director
Naropa University Audio Archive