Re: [ARSCLIST] Which U.S. Orchestra Recorded First?

Earlier, Steve Smolian said:

<George, That was one of the reasons I liked this picture. Incidentally, the horn player is Bruno Jaenicke who remained first when the NY Philharmonic and the <NY Symphony merged and into the late '30s, perhaps longer. He's the soloist on the Brunswick Toscanini "Midsummer Night's Dream" Nocturne. Labatte is the <oboist (who made a solo disc for U.S. Pathe), Simon Barere the clarinetist, Guidi the first fiddle (he also recorded for Gennett), etc.

Steve,

Bruno Jaenicke was one of the all-time great horn players and he was also featured on Mengelberg's Heldenleben, but there were two small details that I did want to correct in your posting (I can't wait to read the actual article - I have long treasured my fat Columbia NYPO Stransky 78s from the 19-teens and have always wondered what might predate them) is that the oboist was Bruno Labate (quite a source for colorful anecdotes) and and the flutist in the Philharmonic was Georges Barrere (Simon Barere was noted both for his pianism and the unfortunate circumstances of his demise). I know that this is somewhat off-topic for this list, but the hornplayer's list that I belong to probably wouldn't care about such ancient history, so I am posting it here.

Nits picked and I'm done,

Peter Hirsch

Quote from Time Magazine Archives:

Nov. 23, 1931
Adenoids and head colds affect few people so unpleasantly as they do those who blow on wind instruments. At a Philharmonic concert in Manhattan last week German Bruno Jaenicke, reputed the world's greatest French horn player, huffed, puffed & snuffed valiantly through the first two movements of the Concerto which Richard Strauss wrote for his horn-playing father. Then, exhausted, Horn-Player Jaenicke left the stage. Conductor Erich Kleiber strode after him, but no amount of persuasion would return Bruno Jaenicke to his snuffling misery. An unprecedented announcement was made: the Philharmonic was unable to finish a number it had started.