Re: [ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

The archival gold DVD-R has a gold metal reflective layer, but the dye is
not phthalocyanine. The archival gold CD-R uses a gold metal reflective
layer and stable phthalocyanine dye and is very stable. Therefore, the
relative stability of the gold DVD-R versus the gold CD-R is less and
potentially considerably less. If you decide to go with a DVD recordable
product, then I would recommend the gold metal layered discs over the
silver alloy ones as the gold does protect against oxidation of the metal
layer. I do plan to test the gold DVD-Rs in the future to see where on the
relative stability scale they actually fall.

   MAM sells this archival gold DVD-R product. Delkin and Kodak also sell
      MAM media under their brand name. All are good quality.

   Joe

             Karl Miller
             <lyaa071@xxxxxxxx
             TEXAS.EDU>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             Association for                                            cc
             Recorded Sound
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx         Re: [ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on
             >                         the new CLIR report. DVDs

             24/03/2006 09:55
             AM

             Please respond to
              Association for
              Recorded Sound
              Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Steven Smolian wrote:

> It follows that archivally-intended projects for which the final storage
medium is the DVD should also be preserved at 44.1/16 on gold CDs until
there
is a gold DVD on the market.

I believe MAM makes an "archival" Gold DVD-R which sells for about $90 for
fifty.

However, I still support the notion of the 44.1/16 gold 650MB disc backup
because of the availability and standardization of the playback modality.

Karl