Re: [ARSCLIST] And on the plus side ...

In a message dated 3/19/2006 6:40:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Wow, the tape fairies are in the air! I had the same experience with an early
60's reel of AudioTape
mylar-backed on Friday evening.
*****************

I've yet to have a problem playing a tape made between 1950 and 1965.  Most
of this was the cheapest tape I could buy so I'm not talking about high
quality, just that it is now just as good (bad) as it was when new.

Unfortunately around 1980 I spent a considerable amount of time transferring
and editing material from that era to new, professional grade tape. I am
having trouble playing some of those transfers.

Now should I go back to the originals and spend the time again, though less
with the help of digital editing, to make new copies on a possibly even less
durable medium?  I'm too old to maintain the copies myself for another 25 years,
and who else will?

Mike Csontos