Re: [ARSCLIST] Multitrack editors for Mac

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:21:47PM -0500, andy Kolovos wrote:

> In my survey of this stuff, I've turned up the following contenders:
>
> Garage Band ($80), Bias Deck LE ($100), DSP-Quattro ($150) and Mackie
> Tracktion 2 ($150).
>
> Any insight into these programs for this application, and any thoughts
> on other options will be greatly appreciated.

There is the open-source project, Ardour <http://www.ardour.org/>.  It
was developed for Linux, but there have recently been some successful
binary releases of the DAW itself and JACK (the low-latency routing
interface) for OSX.  However, I don't think that many of the LADSPA
plugin packages will compile cleanly yet.  In fairness, I should note
that while I use ardour extensively on Linux for music recording and
editing, I haven't spent much time with it on the Mac.

I don't know how much time you want to spend on getting it setup, but it
is free (now and in the future) and quite a powerful multitrack editor.
On the commercial front, I used Bias Peak with a client here in Chicago
for two track A-D transcription and cleanup.  I thought it was a pretty
good piece of software, if a bit more complex than they really needed
for most of the work they had at the time.  However, their customer
support left something to be desired.

Cheers,

Dan

--

A boast of "I have beens,"   | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,  | Audio Engineer

GnuPG public keys available from http://pgp.mit.edu/