Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and Marston Records

I don't have my tracing of these matters to hand at the present, but it is clear that Warner took back the Columbia Brunswick materials which it had let them use on a royalty basis. Columbia defaulted on its royalties. I don't believe they ever "belonged" to Columbia.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and Marston Records

To clarify my earlier comment about Savoy, it lays claim to the entire Varsity
catalog and all Crown masters on the basis of having licensed some ("some")
Varsity sides in the 40s. And Universal's archive includes more than early
Brunswicks..all English Deccas from 1929 as well as any older labels that
company absorbed in the 30s, all Polydor and DGG, etc.

Isn't there also some speculation that Sony/BMG might not really own the
1932-1939 Brunswick/ARC assets (which were in fact owned by Warner Brothers?

dl

Steven Smolian wrote:

Not to mention Edison which is public domain as it is owned by the U.S.
National Parks Service and the government cannot own a copyright.

Steve Smolian