Re: [ARSCLIST] Disc extractions

Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
What would you peoples opinion be of using disc extraction as the way to create .wav files for longterm preservation? If I can verify that the .wav is a one-to-one clone of the original, with no audible artifacts, are there any other down-side considerations? Jitter?

Please forgive my confusion - once again, my amateur status may be a factor. But "extraction" from what? If from a CD or DVD, it was presumably originally in analogue form and that is the signal you would want to preserve. That process should go only to WAV (or AIFF or similar format) with appropriate discographic information. Preserving that on CD-DA with its sacrifice of ECC for recording time is a contradiction in terms.

If you do mean extracting CD (or DVD - hereinafter ignored) to WAV, it's a better way to back up than duplicating in CD-DA. For that purpose, Exact Audio Copy is the tool of choice. But, again, the objective for archiving is to go as close as possible to the source and the source is very rarely CD-DA.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/