Re: [ARSCLIST] Quality Mini Disc Players?

Kathleen,

What you want to do is find an option that will let you output a digital audio signal to a PC.

To do this you have two options, a component unit that can output a digital audio signal (AES/EBU or S/PDIF) or a portable that has a USB or S/PDIF out.

If you're outputting via S/PDIF, you'll need a PC audio interface that can accept S/PDIF input. I'm a big fan of the DAL Card Deluxe, but on the lower end Edirol makes a S/DIF input that you can plug into a USB port.

The only currently available rack-mount MD unit I've been able to locate is the TASCAM MD-350, which B&H is selling for around $370, and it's got a S/PDIF out. The unit I use, Sony MDS-E10, has been great but it's no longer made.

As far as portables go both the Marantz PMD650 (no longer made) and the HHB MDP500 (around $1500) can output a digital signal via S/PDIF or USB.

In all the above cases the digital transfers must be made in real time.

You might be able to find the Sony MDS-E10 or the related -E11 or -E12 used, but when I last checked on Ebay they were pretty scare and pricer than I would have liked. A Marantz PMD650 or HHB MDP500 might turn up there too.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot use a HiMD player to upload ATRAC audio recorded on a standard (i.e. old format) MiniDisc to a PC, but I could be wrong about this.

Best,

andy

McCormick, Kathleen wrote:
A majority of the oral history recordings we have received in the last 5-6 years are on mini-disc. Our current system of duplication involves connecting a portable Sony MD recorder via 1/8 inch/RCA cable into a CD player. This system appears to have been a financial neccessity when this process first began (I'm relatively new & didn't set it up) but is woefully inadequate in terms of capturing optimal sound (at least in my estimation). Can anyone recommend a quality, professional mini-disc player? or make other recommendations on working with mini-discs?
Thanks,
Katie McCormick
Reference Archivist & Coordinator for the Oral History Program
Special Collections Dept., J. Murrey Atkins Library
UNC - Charlotte

--

Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist