Re: [ARSCLIST] Question about Reel to Reel preservation

Steph,

There are others who will give you good advice here. Richard Hess has some very good information on his website, I'm sure he'll chime in.

But you mentioned baking and acetate tape in the same context, so I must tell you, Do not bake acetate! If you are taking about baking polyester/mylar tape from that era, I've never found it to be necessary.

It may also be less expensive for you to farm the work out rather than trying to purchase and maintain machines yourself.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO
800-246-3811
www.avocadoproductions.com

Steph wrote:
Hello,
I'm undertaking some research on how to preserve and what it would take to make new digital recordings from the original ¼" reel-to-reel acetate recordings from the 1950s-60s, so we can have the recording accessible to research. Does anyone have a reference for me to go to for steps?
Does anyone know the where I can get the machines for the baking process and to play the reels?
Thanks much in advance for any references and information you have.

Yahoo! Travel
 Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!