Re: [ARSCLIST] Question about Reel to Reel preservation

Hello, Steph,

Who suggested baking acetate tapes? That is not needed and very dangerous. Why would you think you have to bake them? If they are squealing or not playing well, it is most likely loss-of-lubricant and not sticky shed syndrome.

Not to be flip, but you need a good player and a good CD recorder or a computer with a good sound input device.

Most of us get machines from eBay these days...or if we're lucky we hear about something before it gets to ePay.

I have lots of information about doing this on my Web site. Here is a quick guide to what is there...and we're adding material almost daily.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/15/how-to-archive-recordings-a-quick-guide-to-resources-on-this-site/