Re: [ARSCLIST] Acoustic vs real instruments, was Quarter-inch splicing tabs

Karl Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Lou Judson wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but a fine player can get a LOT more out of wood and steel in the
> > way of expression and nuance.
>
> For me, there is much more than that...when you play any two notes on a
> piano, the is a reinforcement of partials producing a sound that, as far
> as I know, cannot be replicated on a digital instrument...at least, not to
> my knowledge. The digital instrument would have to know both pitches and
> the relative amplitudes of both and then reinforce the overtones as
> needed. Other notes could be added to the chord producing far more complex
> relationships.
>
> Also, as far as I know, a sostenuto pedal on a digital piano would be
> meaningless.
>
> Karl

About as meaningless as staging a Monster Concert and using Yamaha
pianos.....which I once sat through, by the way. 20 pianos and they sounded
like about 8 "real" ones. How did those toys get foisted on the musical world
anyway?

dl