Re: [ARSCLIST] Acoustic vs real instruments, was Quarter-inch splicing tabs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Lou Judson wrote:

> Yeah, but a fine player can get a LOT more out of wood and steel in the
> way of expression and nuance.

For me, there is much more than that...when you play any two notes on a
piano, the is a reinforcement of partials producing a sound that, as far
as I know, cannot be replicated on a digital instrument...at least, not to
my knowledge. The digital instrument would have to know both pitches and
the relative amplitudes of both and then reinforce the overtones as
needed. Other notes could be added to the chord producing far more complex
relationships.

Also, as far as I know, a sostenuto pedal on a digital piano would be
meaningless.

Karl