To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs

There was something comforting about editing the 'old' way.  I used to love
moving both reels back and forth to get the exact position, mark it, cut and
splice, and have it as perfect as can be.  But, I love a challenge!  The
learning curve was digital, and it did take longer, and at times I would
despair!  But, 'seeing' the waveform was so cool, and after a while that came
easy to do.  I almost feel like I am cheating.  Progress......

Cheers

Marie

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

It was Joel Tall. If I remember the story correctly, he was a CBS producer or
editor in the early
days of tape. He invented a better way to splice tapes than a wooden block
with markings on it. See
patent # 2599667.

The best razor-man I ever saw was a radio commercial guy who's now retired.
He would keep notes on
the details of ever word of every take, and his ear was trained so that he
could hear during a take
THAT'S IT for one word out of 20 or 100 or more. He could splice together
syllables into words. One
30-second spot I saw him put together (with a not so great v/o guy) had over
a hundred splices. It
sounded perfect, like the guy just nailed the take and walked away. My friend
knew better and has
the gray hair to prove it. Like many older guys, he's not that comfortable on
a computer, so I
helped him out with something he was doing for another friend, using a
professional voice-over guy,
a couple of years ago. It took us a full day to record and edit the bit. His
comment was, it might
have gone slightly faster with a blade -- which I chalk up as a credit to his
efficiency since we
were not wasting time and Soundforge was very cooperative that day. He
admitted it's more intuitive
to see a waveform on the screen and be able to drop markers and cut and paste
stuff (also easier to
keep track of edit windows than 6-inch bits of tape).

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>