Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs

By the way, I have an EMITape block that sure is a dead ringer for an EdiTall but has no mention of Joel Tall's patent. I wonder how they got away with that? It's slightly longer and fatter than a regular S-3 block, but I can't see that as a patent-breaking point of difference since the tape-holding grooves and cut lines are the same.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs

It was Joel Tall. If I remember the story correctly, he was a CBS producer or editor in the early days of tape. He invented a better way to splice tapes than a wooden block with markings on it. See patent # 2599667.

The best razor-man I ever saw was a radio commercial guy who's now retired. He would keep notes on the details of ever word of every take, and his ear was trained so that he could hear during a take THAT'S IT for one word out of 20 or 100 or more. He could splice together syllables into words. One 30-second spot I saw him put together (with a not so great v/o guy) had over a hundred splices. It sounded perfect, like the guy just nailed the take and walked away. My friend knew better and has the gray hair to prove it. Like many older guys, he's not that comfortable on a computer, so I helped him out with something he was doing for another friend, using a professional voice-over guy, a couple of years ago. It took us a full day to record and edit the bit. His comment was, it might have gone slightly faster with a blade -- which I chalk up as a credit to his efficiency since we were not wasting time and Soundforge was very cooperative that day. He admitted it's more intuitive to see a waveform on the screen and be able to drop markers and cut and paste stuff (also easier to keep track of edit windows than 6-inch bits of tape).

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>