To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: February 25, 2006 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CF recorders and mic pre quality

Tough one, Matt. The price issue will make it impossible to get a decent
Mic-pre and a CF recorder for less than the 671 (its around 700, if I
recall).
Maybe you should buy one with a return privilege and give it a try - piano
is
tough and needs a pre with very good transient response, which also brings
up the
issue of mics. What is he using?

Joe P.

I am currently using a pair of Joe Meek JM-47 "Meekrophones" (large diaphragm cardioid condensers). He has a couple of Marshall mics, but doesn't like them. I'm recommending a pair of Oktava MK-012 condensers. The Marantz 671 is selling everywhere for $999, it's the 670 that goes for $700. I'm just wondering if the "dramatically improved" preamps in the 671 are worth the extra $200 or if a better deal could be had with a cheaper recorder and an external pre.

-Matt S