[ARSCLIST] CF recorders and mic pre quality

> I cant vouch for the Marantz CF recorder mic pres, but the ones in their
old
> analog portables were quite terrible.

I bought a Marantz cassette 4-track (820) in '93 or '94 and the mic pre's
were terrible in that too. I guess it runs in the family..
My roommate is looking to buy a CF recording device to record his piano
playing with, and is considering the Marantz PMD671 because the preamps are
reportedly much improved, but given Marantz' track record, I wonder. Anyone
have experience with these units?
He is a bit put off by the price of the unit and is asking my advice about
buying this unit or a cheaper one with an external mic pre.
Any thoughts on Price vs quality?

-Matt Sohn