Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence

At 12:05 PM 2/18/2006, Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone given any thought to life after manufacturers stop making cassette decks?

Yes,

Anyone care to venture a guess at how long till that happens?

It happened in 1993 when Nakamichi discontinued the Dragon and the CR-7, the former with automatic play azimuth adjustment and the latter with manual play azimuth adjustment.

Already the best decks (e.g. Tascam 122 MkIII) have been discontinued.

How do/did you adjust play azimuth on this deck?

With a couple thousand cassettes sitting on the shelves I am wondering about contigencies.

As to a contingency plan, I've bought six pretty pristine Dragons and have a NOS mechanism which includes heads. Fortunately, I believe the heads are a ferrite and should last a very long time as they are very special and unobtanium.

The other thing you need to know is a good Nakamichi repair person. I have been fortunate to find one here in Toronto and the good guy in LA is so swamped, he's not accepting new work, from what I hear.

Anyway, transferring them now using the best available cassette machines makes sense. I would suggest either 44.1/16 or 48/16 is more than adequate. I'm doing a project now that may grow where we're doing 44.1/16 transfers to live on a file system and then doing MP3s at 64 kb/s for access of oral histories.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Richard

Audio Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.
Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/