Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence

At 02:12 PM 2/18/2006, Mike Richter wrote:

Except for incommensurate lengths, the standalone CD recorder is an ideal stopgap solution to this problem. I suggest regarding such a capture as a backstop or an emergency solution, not as preservation with all of the options one might find ideal. The process is essentially mindless (suitable for undergraduate slave labor) and is limited only by real-time transfer and number of concurrent transfers budget and space will support. It is not ideal, but it is efficient.
In short, it is "some kind of transfer" and is good not only for providing "some kind of access" but an easy and essentially risk-free way to search for content of interest. (Searching cassettes is the best way to destroy them.)

Mike,

One of the easiest things to do was to hook up a player to two or three Sony CDR-W33 CD recorders. The IR remote control would 99% of the time drop track marks on all machines at the same time.

Double jewel cases and two discs solve the problem of C90s.

Sharon Owen and a team of volunteers at Cal State Fullerton Center for Oral and Public History set up two or three Dragon-to-CDR-W33 and two Studer A807-to-CDR-W33 work stations. I leased them the Studers, I ended up taking a Dragon in trade for one of the Studers. I think they also had several consumer machines they'd use for 1/4-track tapes.

There were somewhere around 7000-8000 elements that got CD'd. I think they did pairs and then cloned one of the CD masters for an access copy. I think it was around 4-5000 reels and 2-3000 cassettes.

This was a real success story as the tapes were stored in a bad environment and they were exhibiting binder breakdown without being sticky.

Cheers,

Richard

Audio Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.
Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/