Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence

Hi, Steve,

This is where the FACET Tool that Mike Casey is working on becomes very, very important. It helps prioritize the collection.

I would agree with you on the lacquers-yes, save them pretty much before all else from what we're seeing with peeling.

How to prioritize wires, reels, and cassettes is difficult in my opinion.

There are some reels I would do before most cassettes:
Those with loss of lubricant, incipient vinegar syndrome (though we have not yet seen the
cataclysmic destruction of audio tapes that we've seen in mag films), and probably
sticky shed syndrome.

But I would do cassettes with potential loss of lubricant (3M outsourced dictation cassettes
and Sony cassettes). I wouldn't worry about Maxell and probably wouldn't worry about
TDK or Fuji from what I've seen.

Wires are a difficult choice solely from the perspective of player obsolescence. I don't think the media is deteriorating unless it's rusting, is it?

Ignoring wires, when asked, and subject to the above caveats, I often recommend transferring the cassettes before the reels, especially the older cassettes.

Anyway, Mike's tool helps us answer these questions by assigning points to each asset or collection. The more points, the sooner it should be digitized.

Good discussion.

Cheers,

Richard