Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: Fw: [ARSCLIST] Dynagroove, was Record tracking

Several CD reissues of the Dynagroove recordings were hailed for having very good sound, like some Columbias that were rough sounding in their original release. But as far as the tapes go, the duplication practices of the day would ruin any good recording. Poorly maintained duplication machines run at 10-20 times is a recipe for disaster. There's as much variation from very good to unlistenable with tapes (just like vinyl). I really think that there was a combination of things going on with these Dynagrooves. It's always been a practice of the major labels to send out tapes to the mastering engineers that have been limited, EQd, and compressed. If they didn't, they could have wildly different sounding pressings and would lose their "house sound". So they fixed the tapes to sound the way they wanted them to sound on the release. Remember that the poor sound of some early CDs were actually caused by pulling the first tapes they found, and some of these tapes were 3rd generation with EQ, limiting and compression for the LP release.
Phillip

I have several of the commerically issued reel to reel tapes from the
dynagroove era. They seem to suffer from the same distortion problems I
found on the discs...or is that just a problem with my ears...

As I write this, I don't recall having heard any CD releases of the
dynagroove recordings. If the master tapes were ok, are the transfers
good?

One of my favorite BSO recordings from that time was the DelloJoio Fantasy
and Variations. After several copies of the disc and reel to reel tapes, I
gave up and now listen to concert broadcast tape I have.

Karl