Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Marie O'Connell wrote:

No offence taken, Mike. However, I still believe in doing the job right in
the first place, as you are leaving a 'fingerprint' for the next archivist
who steps into your shoes in the years to come. I like working to a
standard.

Don;t forget the original question was about an archive of tapes that some client wants to buy for release, not archive. The client's wishes have to be taken into account, even if they want quick and dirty. By refusing to compromise, our friend David might lose the job to someone willing to do shoddy work poorly, a loss to all. Better to bring competent sensibility to do the best you can under the circumstances!

If I was forced to use these other methods, and owned my own studio, I would
document it fully, as to what I have done exactly, and would explain this to
the client before even going embarking on the job.

See above - and do you think the client will want to keep and maintain the analog tapes after going for the profit from the CDs? One must wonder.

I almost got involved in a project remastering the archives from a famous workshop intitute on the Big Sur Coast, until I found out they were one of three sets of copies, and the rights were not secured, and I still have a dead ATR-102 here to show for it... Commericial clients have all sorts of conditions and standards, some high and some low... If they had been the originals I would have had defferent responses. But I speak out of turn here.

<L>