Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

No offence taken, Mike.  However, I still believe in doing the job right in
the first place, as you are leaving a 'fingerprint' for the next archivist
who steps into your shoes in the years to come.  I like working to a
standard.

I am fortunate enough to be working with audio owned by this University.
Some of the audio I have preserved, since coming from a Broadcasting Archive
in NZ, has been recorded in an amateur fashion, to say the least, with poor
training in mic placement, asking relevant questions, actually listening to
the guest, etc.  Not to mention, in the other 2 institutions I have worked
in here since I have been here, spliced reels of tape that go from 15/16th
to 1 7/8ths & 3 3/4ips and then back to 15/16ths all on the same reel.  This
would present a huge problem, unless done in real-time.

If I was forced to use these other methods, and owned my own studio, I would
document it fully, as to what I have done exactly, and would explain this to
the client before even going embarking on the job.

Cheers

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer
The Center For Oral History & Cultural Heritage
The University Of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5175
Hattiesburg, MS, 39401-406
Ph: 601-266-6514