Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

At 12:22 PM 2/12/2006, David Hoffman Allinaday@xxxxxxx wrote:
I am working with two libraries to digitize their audio content.  The  audio
is now in quarter inch tape format for the most part.

I understand that, for spoken word recordings where absolute top quality is
not a requirement but digitization is, that there are 1/4" machines that play
at  higher than normal speed, making the process of transferring a great many
tapes  more cost-effective and less time-consuming.  Could anyone recommend
what  these machines might be and how much time they save.

Hi, David,

That can be done. If these are mono, two-track tapes, the most cost-effective technique I apply and there is no degradation if the tapes are not using noise processing, is to record both directions at once and flip one side in the computer.

Double speed can be done on any of the high-end recorders that provide adequate "handles" (The Studer A810 or A820 have a very wide range and the Sony APR-5000 is close, but has a few quirks for this type of unintended adjustment) or on any machine if you play a test tape at 2x and slow it down in the computer and draw the inverse curve to make it flat--storing that as a preset.

If you do double speed and record at 88.2 and then slow down to 44.1, you'll actually lose little, especially if the originals are 3.75 or 1.88 in/s.

I would also love help and a recommendation regarding the best organizations to work with if I have to outsource much of this work.

There are many competent individuals on this list who could undertake your project. I'm re-compiling my taxonomy of media which lists a few places that can help get the job done for you. Of course, I would like the opportunity to propose on your project as well, as this falls squarely in my area of specialization (tapes from 0.150 to 1 inch)

Cheers,

Richard

Thank you,
David Hoffman