Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT libraries and issues

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alyssa Ryvers" <alyssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> When I used to work in broadcasting, often, it is true, one machine
> would play back the tape where another one wouldn't. This still was
> alignment problems. But if the alignment was severely out - tough luck,
> and you couldn't get it to play back, unless you could find the
> original machine - I wasn't always around to see if that _always_
> worked, but more often than not, I heard it did; but these were tapes
> that were recorded usually only a few weeks before being played back,
> at best - not years - so the heads on the recording deck usually
> couldn't have gone that far out in the meanwhile...

This is also probably true of analog cassette machines...although it
wouldn't be as critical (unless you wanted the best possible playback?).
I had a speed problem with my two cassette machines...anything that had
been recorded on one machine was slightly off-key if played on the other
machine, since they didn't run at exactly identical speeds. This only
presented a problem if I was trying to play along with the recording
on harmonica (on which the tuning can't be easily changed!)...