Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT libraries and issues

At 9:06 AM -0500 2/7/06, Alyssa Ryvers wrote:
The "physical" problems I have encountered with DAT tapes, have been digital dropouts - that, I'm afraid, I don't know what, if anything, can be done about;

indeed, it is this that i hope there is more information about. surely there is some study being done about this issue. i've not read anything about dropout recovery (if possible), nor if there is anything such as SSS in the DATworld.

i've heard from many people who, when trying to play their tapes back on the very same machines they were recorded on, have lots more errors, i.e. dropouts, muting, and so forth. these machines hadn't been serviced, so the alignment was the same. it is this issue that is of most concern. this would affect video tapes made with the same process, so possibly the AMIA members also on this list might comment? i could post a query there too...

-- w/best regards, seva mastering engineer http://www.soundcurrent.com