Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette surgery -- paging Dr. Hess

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Richard Hess:

I ask this on a public forum because I bet I'm not the only one who can learn from you. If I'm asking for a trade secret, I apologize.

I have here a pair of cassettes in the molded-together housings (not the screw-together housings) which need to be transplanted because they do not play even with a Tascam tractor-drive transport. I am relatively sure it's the old worn out skid pads or warped housing problem, not a tape problem. I pulled a little tape out to look at it and it's not sticky, oozy or flakey. I fortunately have some C-0 screw-together cases.

How would you proceed? complete brain surgery or splice and hand-wind into the C-0? If the latter, any tips to make 90 minutes of tape go faster?

Others will probably have more sophisticated approaches, but I twist such a case until the seal snaps, then pry it apart with a screwdriver blade. Then, of course, drop the reels into the new case, screw it togethr and hope.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/