Re: [ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

steven c wrote:

Is there a way to copy a damaged file "as is" to your HD? If the contents
are a program, of course, it will be useless if damaged...but for text
files and some types of program files, any data not containing the faulty
bits will be useful. I've often tried to get useful data from bad floppies
by running SCANDISK...it provides the original data minus the faulty
sector(s) and saves the damaged data using generic filenames (which may
or may not contain anything useful).

Can this be done with "unreadable" data CD_R's?

Steven C. Barr

As always I like to be definite. The answer is 'yes and no'.

The file seldom can be copied because such errors usually generate CRC errors and a file with an invalid CRC cannot be written by the OS. However, the values in the sectors of which the file is composed can be written to the HD. Tools for that purpose are available from Ininfadyne; I've used them and they work.

The problem is not solved when the sectors are copied; they need to be linked correctly before even the faulty bytes can be located and corrected. Note, too, that the linkages are subject to the same sort of error as the data themselves. Tracing and reconstructing such material is a classic forensic problem and I believe there are tools for that as well. I have not investigated or used any such tools.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/