Re: [ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

Don Cox wrote:

Compression does have its uses. I find that (with a bit of fiddling with
the settings) it can greatly increase the audibility of badly recorded
speech. This is because it increases the level at the beginning of each
sound, giving a sharp attack which enhances the consonants.

It does indeed. I often work with opera recordings made from the audience, typically from an orchestra seat rather too close to the stage for ideal balance. The result is a faulty perspective which can be eased by slight to moderate dynamic compression.

However, that is nothing like the compression used to maximize apparent loudness in commercial recording.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/