Re: [ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

On 23/01/06, Tom Fine wrote:
> Mike, I dig your page on the death of dynamics!
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/dynamics/dynamics.htm
>
> this paper, co-written by Bob Orban (who certainly should know a thing
> or three about FM radio audio processing), shows the falacies of
> "toothpaste" super-compression.
> http://www.omniaaudio.com/tech/mastering.pdf
>
> However, I believe the trend is probably permanent in this country
> because so much of the "target audience" for what passes for popular
> music today do most of their listening in loud environments with
> earbuds, so toothpaste compression is actually a big benefit for them,
> and for their future hearing aid manufacturer.
>
> Any half-decent audio editor now includes "cruch" and "maximize"
> tools. So any fool with a PC can squash any digital audio file to
> their heart's content.

Compression does have its uses. I find that (with a bit of fiddling with
the settings) it can greatly increase the audibility of badly recorded
speech. This is because it increases the level at the beginning of each
sound, giving a sharp attack which enhances the consonants.

This is with recordings such as those made at conferences where half the
speakers are off mic or are questioners in the audience.

Musicians use compression to sharpen up the percussion in studio
recordings.

Regards
--
Don Cox