To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more)

At 01:21 PM 1/21/2006, Tom Fine wrote:
Elliot Mazer is involved in a venture that sells full 44.1/16-bit CD-quality files for prices more akin to printed CD's. My only beef with that is, it's not market price. You're paying for a full ride but getting no packaging, liner notes or aluminum/semi-permanent CD in the deal.

Tom, our best bet is to convince Mr. Mazer to use MAM-A or other gold phthalocyanine dye CDs which actually may last longer according to recently published accelerated aging tests by Joe Iraci.

Once again:
http://www.uni-muenster.de/Forum-Bestandserhaltung/downloads/iraci.pdf

I agree about the album art missing, but please don't assume that burned CDs are inferior to manufactured ones. At the very least, it's likely to be a non-issue, at the best, it's possible that the burned CDs have a longer life expectancy.

Sorry to nit pick on this, but we have a huge PR problem started by the IBM data tape guy in Germany. It ticks me off. FUD simply FUD from the company credited with causing the invention of the term (check Wikipedia).

Cheers,

Richard