Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes

The stuff that has commercial value, at least in the eyes of the bean-counters who own most commercially-recorded material, is already being taken care of. The vast amount of stuff in their vaults that they consider of little or no commercial value is another matter. So is non-commercial material. I have no answer to your question, "how"? I was merely making what I consider a true statement based on my experience with analog tape -- it is not a "permanent" medium, although it has proven heartier than some others.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes

Tom Fine wrote:
Despite optimistic statements and predictions, I think ALL content of importance on analog reel to reel tape should be transferred to a managed digital archive system in the next couple of decades.

All well and good - but how? If one's standards are lowered to redbook format, then it can be made practical. Find volunteers or low-cost employees, provide each with a competent but economical tape deck and a standalone recorder. (One is tempted to let one person monitor several such stations, but that fails when the recording is longer than a single CD.)

That will not lead to 96/24 masters with optimized alignment and all the other properties we wish we could achieve. Undoubtedly, after the transfers have been assessed, it will be clear that some should have been transferred with the bells and whistles - just as it will be evident that some were not worth doing in the first place.

It will, however, yield a much higher transfer rate.

Done that way, one might estimate cost at ~$10 per hour. Does anyone have a figure on archival transfer?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/