Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights

Thomas Stern wrote:

> just a footnote:  I believe that Brunswick recordings are partly owned
> by ARC/Columbia (now Sony-BMG), and partly owned by US Decca (now
> Universal).  I heard a story many years ago that a Bing Crosby session
> spanned the change of ownership, and that some of the sides owned by
> Decca were inadvertantly issued on a Columbia LP-when the error was
> realised some quick negotiations resulted in some exchange of masters
> between the companies......anyone know that actual date of the division,
> or details of the Crosby arrangement??
> Both companies have used the label the 45/lp era.
> Best wishes, Thomas.

One thing I DO know is that Decca acquired the rights to the pre-1932
(approximately) Brunswick catalog in the early 40s and that the American Recording
Corporation had been keeping various sides in print as sales warranted, including
Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher. I have it on a master pressing on Vocalion from
the late 30s, while the Decca/Brunswick issue (and all subsequent incarnations on
LP) is a thin-sounding dub.

dl