Re: [ARSCLIST] speaking of cataloging terminology...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Melanie Brown wrote:
> > I am looking for some reliable online sources for A/V cataloging....
Namely CDs and DVDs, but some other older mixed media.  There are some
intricacies in the 007 field, when cataloging optical discs - whether the
disc is data-only, a video-recording, sound recording, etc.
> > Any good suggestions?
>
> Don't know if this is a good suggestion or not but...
<snip>

It has always seemed to me that MARC...and other database formats
created and used by/for librarians...were intended mainly to
catalogue printed paper items, usually in the form of books!

For this reason, trying to use them to catalogue sound recordings,
especially if there is any attempt made to include discographic
data, quickly becomes at the very least difficult and goes
downhill from there...