Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Our cover photo comes from a
> picture they found in a trunk in their attic. When that relative dies, I
doubt
> of the contents of that trunk will be saved.

And herein...particularly when it is multiplied by some ridiculously
large number that represents the number of similar incidents...lies
the root of at least one of our (and that is a general "our" but I'm
not entirely sure how to define it...) problems! Every time that people
die...or even have to relocate to smaller premises...there will
inevitably be wholesale discarding done. Probably at least 95% of
the "junk" disposed of is actually junk...but the other 5% or so
ISN'T! We have no way of identifying that portion...in fact,
it is typical that nobody will! In general, items thought to be
"antiques" or "collectibles" will be saved and disposed of
properly (more or less, anyway)...but handwritten notes, old
sound recordings (usually in obsolete formats) and the like
are generally consigned to the landfill, ocean, incinerator
or whatever...

Meanwhile, those of us with a historic bent are left thinking
"I wonder why nobody saved..."