Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more!

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> At 09:34 AM 1/13/2006, Karl Miller wrote:
>
> >For me, it is also strange when I consider that these days libraries and
> >archives are not interested in collecting much as they frequently mention
> >that they have no space, or resources to devote to audio collections.
> >Couple that with the notion that the availability, in these last 50 years,
> >of low cost recording equipment, probably has us with a substantial amount
> >of unique material (some perhaps worth saving) in private hands. That
> >would seem to translate into the notion that we are likely to see a
> >substantial increase in the number of significant unique items needing
> >preservation.
>
> I think the key here is to get the word out to the people holding
> these items. I am finding a good percentage of my tape restoration
> work is coming from private individuals who wish to throw money at
> the problem to solve it. I hope I am offering value for money. The
> quotes on my Web site seem to indicate I am. While the process is
> totally random in many respects, some things are getting preserved.

I guess my point is that there needs to be a place to house and maintain
these reformatted items. No doubt many on this list will have reformatted
material of historic significance. Perhaps not all of it would make for an
article in the New York Times, but much of it is worth preserving...yet
libraries seem to be either disinterested or overloaded.

Perhaps there needs to be a pay as you go collection. If people are
willing to pay to have loved ones "frozen" (as in Ted Williams), I wonder
if maybe there needs to be a "library" where people can pay to have their
recorded legacy maintained...a bit like a library equivalent of a vanity
press. Perhaps the charge to maintain the fluff could fund the
preservation of the "good stuff."

I think about some of the research I have done for our releases. We are
currently working on a CD of some rolls of the music of Cole Porter.
Through the recollections of others we were able to track down a relative
of one of the pianists, Adam Carroll.  Our cover photo comes from a
picture they found in a trunk in their attic. When that relative dies, I doubt
of the contents of that trunk will be saved.

I wonder how many archivists have even heard of the name Adam Carroll, let
alone be interested in saving any documentation of his work.

I guess I just wonder about the priorities.

Karl