Re: [ARSCLIST] May copies be made on [Memorex CDs and more!]

In a message dated 1/13/2006 7:03:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mrichter@xxxxxxx writes:
> This is why a "permanent" hard medium is so desirable. It would allow the
> digital files to be passed on to a time beyond copyright or at least beyond
the
> time when I could care.

Perhaps I am in error, but as I read copyright law an individual has no
right to make such a copy of an audio recording fixed after 1923 (and,
perhaps, without that limitation). Regardless of your intent, without
respect for its availability, and independent of its fragility in its
present form, if you are not holder of rights in the record, you have no
right to make a backup.

Mike
***************

Somehow I got the impression from reading on the subject that an archive is
allowed up to three copies of a recording: the original, an archive copy, and
an access copy, as long as they all remain in the control of the institution.
That is the assumption I'm using at our museum. Unfortunately the only
preservation there mode is pure physical survival; there is no formal sound archive.

As an individual, it seems that one is allowed to make copies as a
transmission medium, time shifting, or from home to car player, within the home
environment. Otherwise it may be illegal to put extension speakers on your stereo
system. Again, these copies would only be preserved through accidental physical
survival; in the upstairs closet or garage storage unit.

I feel that a significant part of history will be lost if these means of
preservation are lost.

Mike Csontos