Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

After building crystal radio sets in the 1940's, with "Quaker Oats"
inductive slide tuners, I found that tubes, resistors, and capacitors were
quite sophisticated. All joking aside, we pay the price today for cheap,
reliable, and high performance electronic devices. This is mostly achieved
through the use of complex LSI chips with multilayer PC boards and tiny,
surface mount components.

Returning to the "repairable" days would result in much higher cost, bigger,
less reliable devices having very limited capabilities. Which do we prefer?
I remember working in a radio repair shop in the 1950's where I identified
and replaced many faulty components, usually tubes and high voltage
electrolytic capacitors (vibrators and 0Z4 rectifiers in car radio power
supplies), and would not wish to return to those days.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.