Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerome Hartke" <jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Replacing is better than repairing. I always inventory two or three "good"
> models. Although their lubricants may harden over an extensive period,
that
> can be remedied by cycling the drive or by opening it and relubricating
the
> rails. Those who have the talents to repair cylinder machines should be
> capable of opening a CD/DVD drive.

The problem is, once they open it they will see circuit boards with
tiny semiconductor chips soldered in place! When I opened  a vintage
radio, I found familiar items...resistors, capacitors and so on. If
I didn't have a schematic, I could trace circuits and draw one...
and it was simple to make measurements to see what was, or wasn't,
working. The worst problem might be locating a replacement tube
if I need one!

With a CD or DVD player/burner, about all the user-servicable
functions are the mechanical ones...the bits that turn the disc,
or move it into playing position. If a microscopic connection
on a chip has failed (likely, given the number of lightning
bolts in a number of years)...there is no practical way of
repairing that. Worse yet, if the future "fixer" isn't
familiar with the function(s) of each chip, he/she/it
will be stopped before starting...