Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

steven c wrote:

> Basically, the assumption in the 21st century is that you don't repair
> it...you throw it away and buy a new one! If nothing else, this creates
> a problem, since we are running out of "away"...we may yet be the first
> civilization to expire from being buried under our discards!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Even before it's broken, actually....I have 2 or 3 DVD players which were taken
out of service because they malfunctioned or wouldn't read newer discs, but
which still serve in emergencies. Meanwhile my current main machine cost me $43
at WalMart a little over a year ago and does everything the earlier machines
wouldn't do (and which cost up to almost ten times that amount).  But my
12-year-old Sony Laserdisc player still works perfectly AND plays CD-Rs, which
early DVD players wouldn't do.

dl