Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

Perhaps my statement regarding availability of CD-R playback equipment was not clearly explained.

I don't think it is a poor argument, in a sense your posting below helped clarify what I was trying to say:
Then all you need to worry about is technology
life.
If you are following a "life-cycle" of technology, then one would assume that along the course of 100 years, the data would be migrated periodically to coincide with the new technologies (whatever they may be).

First of
all, no one knows for sure what can or cannot be done in 100 years.
That was also the point I was trying to make - and my personal fear is that those who don't deal with IT issues on a regular basis DO take the "100-year life" seriously without regard to the other parts of the puzzle needed to retrieve the data.

However, the most
important point is that media life should not be the reason why information
is lost. It should not be the weak link in the system. It should outlast
the technology to read it.
Agreed.

John Spencer www.bridgemediasolutions.com