Re: [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs

Joe_Iraci@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
This taken from the PCworld article linked below:
|"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life  |
|span of around two years," Gerecke says. "Some of the better-quality discs|
|offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."                    |

This is the third list on which I've seen reference to that article. I've no idea who Gerecke is, but his expertise is, shall we say, limited. He offers no facts to support the opinions expressed so authoritatively and, when he comes close to providing data, they include such gems as the dye in erasable CDs.

That is not to say that there is no truth in what he says, only that there is no basis in the article for believing its assertions. I suspect that others on this list share my experience of more than a decade of recording on various media. In that time and with some thousands of discs recorded, none that was well written initially has failed given proper storage and handling.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/